Sunday, April 21, 2013

Baby Shower Blessings

This weekend, my church small group put on a baby shower for a new mom whose own mother tragically passed away in a car crash about a year ago.  We  hoped that other women would attend and support this young woman and her precious baby girl...but I was just amazed by the outpouring of love and generosity that we saw that day!  We had enough food for an army, and so many lovely and thoughtful gifts!

I had fun putting together a "diaper cake" decoration for the gift table.  I have always wanted to try making one of these, and it really was a fun and easy project!




There are many different styles of diaper cakes.  To make my "cake", I followed the folded rather than rolled diaper method and decided to kept the decorations simple and feminine.  I loved the idea  of using a pair of baby shoes as a cake topper!  (You can find the instructions that I followed at this great blog.  My 12-in cake took a total of about 75 size 2 diapers.



To make each level of the cake, I arranged the folded diapers in a spiral and secured the finished spiral with tightly-tied twine.  Then I wrapped the ribbons around the center of each layer, securing the ends with a hot glue gun.  To finish the cake, I stacked the layers, stuck artificial flowers around the edges, put a circle of pink scrapbook paper on top, and finally added the baby shoes!



I love baby showers!   "Children are a gift from the LORD, offspring a reward from him."  Ps. 127:3

1 comment:

  1. Awesome cake! I'm sure she was blessed by all the gifts you all gave her, and I hope that you all were blessed by the giving as well!

    ReplyDelete