Sunday, September 8, 2013

Projects and Pinwheels

This weekend I have been busy grading my students' "Island Nation" projects that were the capstone of our geography unit.


I love this project because it reinforces the students' knowledge of geography and map skills, in a way that is so much fun they don't even realize that they are learning!


Their task is to imagine that they discovered a brand new island which they must promote with a map and a brochure.  On the map they must include: a title; a compass rose; a scale; a key; and at least eight landforms that we learned about in class. 




In the brochure, they must explain their island's climate(s), topography, and natural resources. 


By the end of the project, the students have  hit on almost every topic we discussed in our unit, while letting their imaginations run wild!

It was funny to see the variety of island ideas represented in a given class.  We had the nice islands with candy, rainbows and unicorns:


And, of course, the islands that were full of deadly perils:


(I love this one!)

Overall, the students' work on this project was extremely creative and well done.  My "Great Work" wall is again full!


On a final note, today we had the middle school youth group at our house for dinner.  I had a bunch of leftover turkey deli meat and no idea what to do with it.  I found this recipe for turkey and bacon "pinwheel" sandwiches, which turned out to be fun and yummy!


1 comment:

  1. So cool! I didn't see half of those projects. Is "Shiprock" supposed to be "Shipwreck" mountains?

    ReplyDelete